Use these questions to discuss Scared in a reading group or simply to
explore the story from a new perspective.
1. What was your emotional reaction to the opening of this story?
Was it easy for you to read? Why or why not?
2. In what ways did you identify with Stuart? Adanna?
3. How did the story inspire you? Challenge you?
4. What about the characters or story made you angry or upset?
5. Although this is fiction, it’s based on real-life experiences. How
does knowing that Adanna’s story isn’t far from fact impact what you
take away from it?
6. What is the significance of the role Tagoze plays in this novel?
Why does he get a chapter of his own?
7. How do the various characters grow and change throughout the
8. What was your reaction to the ending of the story?
9. How did Stuart ultimately use the gifts he had been given to make
10. In what ways (if any) has this story changed you? What are some
practical ways you can make a difference in the lives of the Adannas
in our world?